by Julia Frisbie
posted May 24, 2022
It’s been a wonderful week in the garden. This post is shorter than usual because I spent all my free time outside digging rather than inside typing. Here’s what I’ve been working on:
- Preparing beds by mounding up the soil, and adding mulch to the trenches between beds to create paths
- Transplanting ALLLLLLL the tomatoes and the summer squash, plus the first successions of corn and cucumbers
- Transplanting tender flowers like marigolds and sunflowers
- Direct sowing the first beans (after several hours of pre-soaking in warm water)
- Starting seeds for my second successions of corn, cucumbers, and herbs
- Hand watering while I continue to work on this year’s drip irrigation layout
- Pulling/digging/torching weeds
- Pulling tent caterpillars off the apple tree (before drowning them and feeding them to the ducks… this is a delicacy)
- Building a bean tipi (otherwise known by my star-wars-loving kiddo as “the Jedi Temple”) and other trellises
- Watching the red russian kale finish flowering and start setting its seed pods
- Watching the songbirds collect fallen duck down with which to line their nests
- Watching the fringe cups (Tellima grandiflora) come into their full glory at Ship Harbor
- Watching my “Desert King” fig tree finally put out its first leaves of the season
I’m not sure how many more posts I will be able to share with you this summer, because I am nine months pregnant, with all “optional” things soon to be swept off my plate. However, gardening is NOT optional. It’s life-giving. There will still be a garden. So if you want to know how it’s growing, you’ll just have to come visit.
Transition Fidalgo and, we’re sure, all of Julia’s readers, are grateful to her for so enthusiastically sharing her garden adventures with us. While she pulls away from posting for a while, we’d like to invite others to send articles about their gardens to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. May we all continue to grow together!
THANK U!!! THANK U!!!!
Best of luck with #2!!! May your labor be quick and easy and your baby happy and healthy! WE appreciate your expertise and even more your heart. Looking forward to growing a future on Fidalgo with your expanded family!